Monday, June 10, 2019

Pilgrimage - The Venerable Bede

Cuthbert isn't the only saint at Durham Cathedral. The Venerable Bede, a scholar and priest from also from the seventh and early eighth century. Bede is often called the Father of English History for his work The Ecclesiastical History of the English People, but he is much more than that. Bede is one of those lesser known figures (at least lesser known in the wider world) who was key to holding on to and even advencing learning in the early medieval period.

On a production note, this another one of my early attempts. I recorded the introduction at Mirfield but the reaction at Lastingham. I also recorded Bede and Cuthbert together, and my original thought was to do one reaction video all at once. Later I figured I would edit each saint into one coherent video, but I'm not sure Bede's all that coherent.

Moving forward, I'm going to try to do one single video with everything in it, but I've still got a few more to edit and post before we get there.

Prayers for St. Bede follow the video!



Asking prayers from Saint Bede

Holy Bede, your example of learning and dedication is an example to the Church. Pray for us that we might use the gifts of learning and technology not to divide us but to bring us more deeply together in love.

A Collect for Saint Bede

Holy Father, Eternal Light, give us the grace of your wisdom, that, inspired by your servant Bede, a Teacher in the Church, we might bring the knowledge of your love into the dark places of the world. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Victims of Gun Violence - November 1 - November 30

Rest eternal grant unto them, And let light perpetual shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Click here for a link to the list of n...