Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Pilgrimage - Saint Ceolfrith and the Codex Amiatinus

When I was in Durham Cathedral, I made the call to skip Ripon and the shrine of St. Wildrid in order to head north up to the town of St. Paul's Monastery in Jarrow on the banks of the Tyne River. St. Paul's was one of two monasteries that played a critical role in the foundation of Christianity here in the north of England. Even though these monasteries were very far away from Rome and the seats of power, they had an impact well beyond their size and location. One of the early abbots, a monk named Ceolfrith, was one of those folks with an outsize impact. And there's a great story about a book.

I had hoped to be able to get to Jarrow, and I am so glad that I did. There's a small chance I might be able to get to Ripon later in the trip, so I hope to be able to share Wilfrid's story. To be completely honest, part of why I was so tempted was because I'd been to Ripon when I was at the College, so I wanted to do something new.

Prayer follow the video!



Asking prayers from St. Ceolfrith

Holy Ceolfrith, your love of learning brought light and wisdom into the world through those whom you taught; pray for us that God might give us the grace to be an example to others so that God might be glorified through them.

A Collect for St. Ceolfrith

O Holy Spirit, you burn in the hearts of all your servants; inspired by the witness of Blessed Ceolfrith, help us to know and love you as you are revealed in Holy Scripture and help us to order our lives according to the same, to the praise and glory of the Father and the Son with whom you dwell in everlasting glory. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Victims of Gun Violence - November 1 - November 30

Rest eternal grant unto them, And let light perpetual shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Click here for a link to the list of n...