Saturday, June 8, 2019

Pilgrimage - Introduction

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share some of my sabbatical experiences with you as I go. Over the next few weeks, I'll be travelling around to some of the shrines and holy places in England and Wales. As I go, I'll be putting together some videos about the people I'll be visiting and what it's like to visit them. Afterwards, I'll be writing a prayer based on my experiences.

A couple of thoughts about pilgrimage. Pilgrimage is a popular topic in the Episcopal Church today. You can find a lot of people writing about it. For me, pilgrimage has a couple of dimensions.

The first is place. My pilgrimage will take me to the places where holy men and women have lived and worked and walked their own path as Christians. It will take me to the places where holy men and women are buried, the actual places where they are still present here in this world. The sense of place is important to me.

The second dimension is prayerful intention. As I come to each of these place, I come as a pilgrim. The journey is a prayer, and not a general one. At each shrine, before I visit, I reflect on what I want to bring to that place, what I want to ask God.

The last dimension is intercession. At each of these shrines, I will be asking these saints to pray for me and with me to God.

I hope I can pull this off, and I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Victims of Gun Violence - November 1 - November 30

Rest eternal grant unto them, And let light perpetual shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Click here for a link to the list of n...